Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Florida Trip Part 2

       On the night of May 7, I went to the Rookery Bay Reserve Boardwalk off Shell Island Road. As soon as I got there, I heard and saw dozens of Nighthawks. It was pretty cool because they dove down right next to me. A couple Shrikes passed by. When I got to the viewing platform, I saw my first ever American White Pelican, along with a couple Roseate Spoonbills and a Northern Harrier. On the way out I also saw my first Common Ground Doves, making my total for the evening 15 species.
       The next day, I was able to go to Eagle Lakes Community Park. A Bronzed Cowbird greeted me at the start of the trail. It was a good day of birding. I found 47 species including, Black-bellied Whistling Duck, American White Pelican, Roseate Spoonbill, Swallow-tailed Kite, Common Gallinule,  Semipalmated Plover, Black-necked Stilt, Blue-winged Teal, and Black Skimmer.
       Over the next couple of days, I saw White-eyed Vireo and Bobolink. May 11, I went to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, but the highlight was on the drive. On Collier Blvd. I saw Muscovy Ducks (Unfortunately they are domestic), but on Immokalee Road I saw 4 Crested Caracaras. I was very surprised to see them, because I didn't think I would be able to on this trip. Once at Corkscrew I only saw 19 species, none of which held any interest.
       Yesterday, May 13, I went to Serenity Walk Park and saw Brown-headed Nuthatch and Red-headed Woodpecker. That evening, I went to the Naples Pier and saw my first Least Tern and had good looks at Sandwich Terns.

My Florida Trip List is now at 82 species. When I get back in June, I will try to post all my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment