Sunday, May 11, 2014

Spring

I have seen many things these past few weeks, so I will try to minimize it as much as possible. First off, I want to make a list of this year's warblers. Since warblers are the highlight eastern US spring migration, I think I will start with them.

Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Golden-winged Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Northern Parula
Blackburnian Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Palm Warbler
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler

Because I will be going to the Tawas Point Birding Festival, and possibly the U.P. in July, I hope to get to 32 species this year.

Some of the notable birds I have gotten in the county this month include Virginia Rail, Black-crowned Night Heron, Marsh Wren, Blue-headed Vireo, Bonaparte's Gull, Cliff Swallow,
and Dunlin. I found a dying bat that I think was a Big Brown Bat, and I also found an American Mink  working on his den.

Next semester, I am going to be taking a Botany class at my local university. There is a possibility that I will be attending the Michigan Botanical Club annual Foray in the Keweenaw Peninsula.
 Northern Leopard Frog
 Muskrat
 Unidentified Egg Mass
 Big Brown Bat
 Yellow-rumped Warbler
 Eastern Garter Snake
 Northern Water Snake
 Mute Swan
 Northern Harrier (At Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore)
 Trumpeter Swan (At Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore)
 Red-breasted Merganser (Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore)

 Common Map Turtle
 Sora
 Pine Warbler
 Sandhill Crane
 Song Sparrow
 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
 Northern Waterthrush
 Eastern Cottontail Rabbit
 Scarlet Tanager
 Wood Duck
 Blackburnian Warbler
 Golden-winged Warbler
 Black-throated Green Warbler
 Chestnut-sided Warbler
 Black-and-white Warbler
 Indigo Bunting
 Hooded Warbler


 American Mink

 Yellow Warbler
 Spotted Salamander
Eastern Box Turtles

2014 County Year List: 153

No comments:

Post a Comment